Monday, May 28, 2007

Stock the Fridge

I've noticed an interesting trend around here. No matter how much food I put in the pantry or the fridge, if there are no granola bars and no yogurt then certain members of my family claim there is nothing to eat. Apples? "Too much work." Cheese? "Requires a knife." Crackers? "I'm not sure where we keep them."

For someone else I know, it is meat. If there is no beef or pork, etc., in the freezer, then it's time to go to the store. Me? Well, I guess it's milk. If we have no milk or bread, then there's really nothing to eat. Not that this is what I always have for a snack, mind you, but it can be an indicator of how well stocked the fridge is. (I remember a moving day many years ago when the last two items in the fridge were bread and cottage cheese. Yes, I had a cottage cheese sandwich that day.)

I'm going to assume that we all have an item or two like this. What is it for you- or people you know?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

At our house it's actually the freezer that indicates the need to go to the store. It has to contain ice cream (for me) and otterpops (for Ben) at all times or we believe there is nothing to eat. I fear what this reveals about us is a future in which Richard Simmons figures prominently.

Maren said...

(Welcome, Emma)
Richard Simmons- yikes!! The very thought of him figuring prominently in my future would be enough to make me buy (tasteless) sugar-free ice cream and Otter Pops made with Splenda!

Anonymous said...

Well, if we're rating low-fat desserts, we highly recommend the Skinny Cow mini-fudge pops. Packs a lot of chocolate taste into something like 100 calories.

In our house, it's OJ, bread and bananas. I can't seem to keep us in stock on any of those, especially when it's been Thompson's month to bring the sacrament bread to church, we've gone through a lot more loaves.

Maren said...

I'm not surprised! I've seen the young men in your ward walking around with the bag of sacrament bread, munching away. (After sacrament meeting, of course, but before Sunday School.)

Disco Mom said...

Only a month late...
Yes to all of those.
For me and the girls it's milk, yogurt & bananas. Major players in 2-3 meals each day. We could have cheese, blueberries, tortillas, chicken, ice cream, potatoes, apples, and granola bars in the house but if there's no milk, yogurt and/or bananas it's off to the store!

For Ed it's totally fruit. If there is no portable fruit for him to take in his bag to work or snack on at home, there is nothing to eat. He's a big cereal eater, too, though, so no milk leaves us all hanging.