Saturday, September 08, 2007

For those times when despair nearly overcomes you...

Oh, man. Tonight we were poking around to see if the results from Quinn's race were posted yet, and we stumbled upon this. Hilarious!! We laughed so hard at some of these. I've seen this kind of thing before, but for some reason these were especially funny tonight. I believe it was the "Failure" one that led us from the subject of half-marathons to despair.

"The journey of a thousand miles sometimes ends very, very badly."


Part of what's so funny, to me, is that they mock the multi-million dollar business of motivational posters for reeling in the money of the simple-minded, and yet they hope to make money doing exactly the same thing for the cynical. Really, what's the difference? It's the photographers of the great stock shots that stand to make serious moolah by selling to both camps. (The "Regret" photo is my favorite.)

Some of the ones at which we laughed hardest were: Consulting, Effort, Failure, Goals, Despair, Humiliation, Insanity, Loneliness, Mediocrity, etc., etc. Some of them reminded us of the old Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey- only cleaner.



In a moment of irreverent levity, we found three that would be perfect for his office up at the church: Problems, Sacrifice, and Worth. There were lots, though, that he thought he could use in his Middlebury classes as part of teaching about world conflicts and leaders (i.e. achievement, arrogance, elitism...). Fun, funny stuff.

A parting thought for you:
"When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a meteorite hurtling to the Earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much hosed no matter what you wish for. Unless it's death by meteor."

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

What I love about these is that they tell you who to by them for. And almost all list disaffected college student...very funny.

Geary said...

I'm sorry, but I liked "Consulting" best -- it's very much like what we really say! But, I liked them all, especially because they are so beautifully mounted.

Anonymous said...

I'm sure this is not the wholly appropriate place to ask this question, but Ben and I are doing some painting in our new house. We went to the paint store and picked out 3 colors (for 3 rooms), bought quarts of them and came home to try them. And we don't like them. We either don't like how it looks with the counter, but do like how it looks with the grout in the tile, or it's too dark for such a small room with only one window, or something. So, knowing how you know paint, I wondered if you have any recommendations?

Maren said...

I'll call you.

Geary said...

I have received the ones I sent off for. I took the "Consulting" and "Planning" to work and put them on my desk. I will change them from time to time, replacing them with "Leadership" (my favorite because it describes my work environment perfectly) and "Uniqueness" which I like because it is self-contradictory. Thanks for posting these.