Saturday, February 02, 2008

Kari's Birthday

It's my little sister's birthday today!

Kari has always had a unique sense of self- or maybe a sense of her own uniqueness- that makes her cool. She's always been cool. She was the sister who dyed her long blonde hair jet black- and it looked great! She listened to alternative music that I felt like I should have known (being only 2 years older), but had never heard of. She wore the most audacious clothes. I shopped at some of the same second-hand stores, but never came away with anywhere near the kind of style she could pull off. She has long been one of my favorite models to photograph.


The 2 years between us have melted into almost nothing now that we are both in our 30's. Her experiences as a wife and mother mirror my own in many ways, and it seems that we have more in common all the time. I admire her drive and energy in doing what is necessary to successfully take on New York City- with kids. She does great things- even though it might feel like the days of Motherhood are full of small and trivial practical matters. The greatness lies in her persistance, consistancy, and love. We aren't meant to be perfect, but endurance, patience, and kindness are learned qualities that grow as they are practiced.


She excells at math, linguistics, fashion, wit, humor, cooking... essentially anything she puts her mind to.

Happy birthday to one of the most talented and admirable people I know. We love you, Kari!

7 comments:

Geary said...

Yes, I like her too.

Disco Mom said...

Hey, thanks for the tribute. I'm just now pulling my head out of a fog and checking in on blogs and stuff. It's been a long time since I've seen some of those shots, and even longer since I've thought of myself as that girl. Thanks for bringing me back to myself.

Anonymous said...

You rock Kari. Thirty Tonas agree.

Anonymous said...

And your photos are awesome Maren; I hadn't seen some of these.

Lyf2.0 said...

That blue pic is particularly neat... Maren, Kari linked this entry on her blog, so I'm not some random person snooping around...

Maren said...

No worries- I know who you are. I think we've even met once at Dave's a long time ago. Glad everyone's enjoying the tribute!

Jen said...

Wow! It's Sonja!