Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Counting Down

Well, there are either mere days or mere hours until the arrival of kiddo #4. In the meantime, I am rushing about like a mad woman trying to get things done. Mind you, these are not all very important- not like what some people are doing. I've gotten all the major items crossed off... now it's just the little things which I have convinced myself are absolutely essential. Here's an incomplete record of recent accomplishments.

Lots of gardening and yard work have been on the list this week, including mulching all the beds, starting all the remaining seeds in little peat pots, mowing the grass, moving this plant and that, watering everything, pruning a few things, and weeding like crazy. The rugosa was ripped out yesterday afternoon, thanks to Renita and Toby and their back hoe. After the kids went to bed, I went out and replanted the daffodils and put the new peony in its place. The sun had gone down, so I only worked until I couldn't see anymore. Too bad I forgot to wear my buzz-off gear. Black flies are evil.

This morning, I rushed out to get 4 more bags of mulch and then up to my favorite nursery to use a generous gift certificate my neighborhood friends gave me last week as part of a Baby Welcome party. (Thank you!) I picked up a nice red Champlain rose and three light pink geraniums. I hurried home, fed and put Torin down, then went out to plant, water, move things, and mulch. Whew. It was nearly 80ยบ out, so I took frequent breaks to sit in the shade and make up more things to do.

Next on the list is to make a few more dinners for the freezer. Enchiladas are coming up, after having finished two chicken dishes and a Tillamook casserole last week. I have also been writing down things like Torin's routine and the schedule for the week my parents will be here.

After I posted these lists in obvious places, my husband noticed them and commented. My response was that I felt like the world was coming to and end and that I had to do certain things to get ready. It is, in a sense. Life after is never the same as life before. Gardening is much easier this week than it will be next week. Life after might be better... but it won't be the same. Furious preparations (even if some of them are completely unnecessary) help keep my mind off the fact that I am essentially a walking time bomb. I suppose all of this highlights nicely the "J" side of my personality type. Next up- change all the sheets and maybe give a few kids a haircut. And what will I do when the list is empty? Well, I will lie down on the couch and meditate... and maybe come up with a few more things to do.

3 comments:

The Michiganders said...

Thinking of you! Best of luck with the delivery, and recovery, and the survival therafter with four little children. :)

So happy for you guys!

Shells said...

Maren, as a "J" myself, there is no end to listmaking! Llmost every time I sit down for a quiet moment, I add 1-10 things to the list. We are very excited for you. My sister Stephanie had her little girl Aubrey last weekend. So Hilde and Enoch are really excited for new babies and cousins!

Disco Mom said...

Yeah, I was going to say, the list is never ever ever empty. Has it occurred to you that doing all that bending and gardening actually makes you more of a ticking time bomb? Guess it doesn't matter at this point since you are going to the hospital tomorrow morning to get diffused. Can't WAIT to hear the news!!!