Last year we started a new tradition of charitable giving. I put out a little jar with a sign on it which read "Change for Change" and asked all family members to drop their spare change in it during the month of December. When Christmas was near, we counted it up and chose to donate all $14 (and change) to the local Humane Society. We all enjoyed taking it over and spending some time there last year.
This year I challenged everyone to fill a bigger jar and set it out earlier in November. The girls were very generous, donating much of their allowance and piggy bank savings. Q and I were better about dropping things in as well, and dear Uncle Elliott contributed without even knowing. He brought a big bag of quarters to Sonja earlier this year to help with her 50 States quarter collection, and there were many left over so they went in, too. The end result was just over $50, much to our surprise.
A long, enjoyable discussion ensued as we tried to figure out where this "change" should go. Initially, we had thought of the Heifer Project or something similar. Many good suggestions were made and it was hard to come to a conclusion that suited everyone. In the end, we decided to split it in half and give part to the local chapter of the United Way and part to the Graham Emergency Shelter in Vergennes, both worthy causes making a difference in the local community.
There were Food Shelf donations, too, this year. The teachers requested it instead of gifts, so I took the girls to the store and let them each choose what they'd like to donate: pasta and sauce, canned vegetables, baby food.
This is the serious side of giving. It's not the kind of activity that we get giddy about, but one that is deeply meaningful to us as we do it and a sobering reminder that by the grace of God we are on the giving side. It stretches and strengthens a different part of our charitable nature, though it is by no means the hardest kind of giving. No, it's easy- maybe a little too easy for an adult like me, but I think it's enough to change my children if we do it every year. And maybe our efforts can produce a positive change in someone else's life, too. That's my hope.
1 comment:
You continually inspire me. I hope to be a mom like you when I grow up.
Post a Comment