So, the other day I had the following phone conversation:
Me: Hello?
Caller: (Older male) Hi. You're probably going to think this is a crank call...
Me: Hmmm. They don't usually start out that way, do they?
Caller: ... but I'm really just looking for any number in Middlebury because, y'see, I live across the Lake in New York and we have this stray alpaca here that everybody seems to think has come over from Middlebury. Do you know of any alpaca farms over there that might be missing one?
Me: (Trying to catch up) Uh... hmmm. Now let me think. I know there are some alpacas up on Route 116. I wonder if- let me pull out the yellow pages here and see what I can find.
Caller: Thanks. They keep stopping at the woman's house on the corner and saying that her goat is in the road- or some people think it's a deer or a llama, but I know it's an alpaca for sure.
Me: Rrriiight. Here we go- under "Alpaca". Looks like we have 3 farms in the county. I'll give you the numbers and you can give them a call. (Read phone numbers.)
Caller: (Relieved) Thank you so much. I really appreciate you taking the time to look that up for me. I'll call them right away.
Me: Sure- no problem. Good luck finding the owner. Have a great day.
Caller: You, too.
Click.
I've said it before, and I'll say it again: I love this town!
4 comments:
In West Virginia, the alpacas have unlisted numbers.
He should have called back to end the mystery, if he had been able to get in touch with the real owner. Wouldn't an alpaca straying over the state line mean that it crossed water or a bridge? And how many other #s in Middlebury before he reached someone who didn't hang up at the mention of an alpaca?
Jacob will love this story.
Yes, all the unknowns make for half the fun. I had many questions, but didn't want to ruin the moment by asking them. Besides, sometimes these fellas are better off unquestioned.
Reminds me of the time an alpaca went into a bar and the bartender said, "Why the long face?"
Post a Comment