Ok, ok, there's been way too much talk about politics on the blogs I check via my google reader. Y'all are starting to get to me. "Candidate" this and "speech" that. Issues, personal connections, and opinions. I recognize your right to express your opinion, in fact I applaud you for doing so. But it just makes me want to express mine, and I wasn't going to talk political shop here. Being married to a Poiltical Science professor, I have my share of constructive and instructive conversations on the subject here at home.
When I was a kid, I broached the subject of voting with my father. I asked whom he was going to vote for in a particular election. Far from being the instructive conversation in democracy it could have been, it was more of an example of his fiercely secretive personality. He wasn't going to say. It didn't deter me from wanting to vote, fortunately. I have voted in every election since I was 18. (I can't remember if there was an election in California while I was overseas in Turkey, but I doubt it.) I definitely appreciate the sacrifices made by men and women in our history so that I could have a say in issues of government, and I like to show that gratitude by making time to vote.
I'm not married to a particular party, so to speak. I've been known to cast my vote for candidates of almost every political party, even on the same ballot. I have a few key issues that flavor my opinion, as do we all. (Like foreign policy!) But my thoughts are my own. I wish I could say that it doesn't matter to me who you vote for just so long as you vote. However, it matters very much.
I love the Vermont Voter's Oath, which I was made to sign upon registering when we moved here. It says: "You solemnly swear (or affirm) that whenever you give your vote or suffrage, touching any matter that concerns the State of Vermont, you will do it so as in your conscience you shall judge will most conduce to the best good of the same, as established by the Constitution, without fear or favor of any person." Yes, your Honor, I do. (Vermont also has a Voter's Bill of Rights and you can read it here. )
So whom should we elect to battle out the issues with the Senate and the House of Representatives? And who will take over if that person should die in office? And with whom will those people surround themselves as advisors and cabinet members and other influential positions? Consider it carefully, very carefully. If there's one thing I've learned over the past ten years or so as I've paid closer attention, it's that our votes really DO matter. So go to the polls in November... with your thinking cap on.
9 comments:
Great post. I really enjoyed reading it. This has been on my mind so much lately, because I struggle with it alot.
I think my biggest issue is that I hate all the political fighting and name calling and policy shifting. What I need to do is sift through it and try to find truth.
My parents remind me of your dad. No idea who they vote for--they never would tell me and they don't even tell each other. But they always listened, learned, and made informed decisions. I need to follow their example.
That's why the only political organization Mom ever says is worthwhile is the League of Women Voters, because it's non partisan and just aimed at getting people to be informed voters.
I need to look them up here. I know of them because I gave a speech to their group in DC once. (Long story.) They were very, very nice.
Like it could possibly be any secret who Dad votes for.
I know, but the point was he wasn't going to tell me.
I've noticed this interesting phenomena in my neighborhood lately. Micah and I go on lots of long walks, so I know the houses within a 5 mile radius very well. All the houses with Obama signs in the front yard have had their signs up for at least the last 6 months. McCain signs only just started appearing - and they have only appeared on the lawns of houses that have a near neighbor with an Obama sign up. I don't know what it means - though I do have some theories. Since Ben and I often vote differently and it looks like we will in the coming presidential election, we are thinking of getting both signs for our yard. A sort of partisan non-partisan fall decoration. What do you think?
.
My voting style's much like yours, but I would rather comment on the idea of a secret ballot, which I find fascinating---it's not part of the Constitution (it seems like it didn't really even occur to the Rounding Fathers), yet it's become a necessity in our minds, if we want a true and healthy democracy.
And I agree with that. We should have a right to keep our votes secret.
But on the other hand, I wonder if we treat that option for quiet as if it were sacred to our detriment. Part of a healthy democracy is discussion, debate, argument, and changing minds.
Of course, we can do all that without talking about actual votes, but with some discussions (eg, Prop 8 here in California), not declaring one's decided endpoint leaves the conversation hollow and unsettled.
So in the end, I'm still thinking about this.
Emma- go for it! How fun for your neighbors if you do.
I don't like being secretive about it. I like to hear other people's opinions because they may have a way of looking at things I hadn't considered - the more points of view I can take in, I think the better informed my own opinion and decision becomes. Ed and I like to talk about the election and political issues and discuss, like with any major decision, what we together think is best for our family and country. I would like to do the same with anyone, actually - not argue, but discuss. I'd like to have a big long talk with Quinn, or you Maren, or anyone, before the election, to find out how you're looking at things. I don't want to decide just based on my own limited experience and partially informed opinions. Interfacing with others is what puts my thinking cap on.
Post a Comment