Thursday, October 02, 2008

Light and Shadow

...this is the essence of photography. Where light and shadow are together, there is something to see and an image can be made. These polar opposites make up the visual part of this life- they are both required in order to see anything. Maybe opposites are required in order to understand.

Most things in life have their opposite, I believe. Beauty and chaos. Gorgeous September days and ice storms in March. Chocolate cake and pickled eggs. Sometimes the opposite of one thing is not as simple as we might have been taught when we were young... compassion and hatred are opposites, but as feelings they oppose apathy and are therefore part of a triangle of opposites. It can get complex, you see, but opposition is a necessary possibility in this mortal life. I'm not saying all bad things are necessary, just that they must be allowed. In order to have real agency, there must be the option to choose, and thus a full range of choices available. It's sad in a way, but true.

I don't usually dwell on this shadowy subject, but there have been some things floating through my life lately that have brought me back to these thoughts again and again. Today I was disturbed to read a blog post about horrible, awful things that happened some time ago in Rwanda. You can find the link on my sidebar: "My Marrakesh". Truly awful and unimaginable things- not for the faint-hearted reader. There is a fund to help, and of course I want to donate money to their organization.

Occasionally I am overwhelmed by the multitude of ways there are to help others; I find it terribly depressing rather than uplifting because it represents such an enormity of suffering compared to my tiny ability to actually make a difference. Should I give here or there? Now, or later? What if I do all I can and then find out about another equally deserving opportunity but have no surplus left? Where am I supposed to draw the line? Is there a place for guilt because of my fortunate circumstances? How do I help a friend who is headed down the wrong path without taking away her freedom to choose? If you add up all the awful things in the world, are we coming to the end? The difficult rhetorical questions could go on forever. Each of us has to work out her own answers.

I know that my mission in life is not to alleviate all suffering. Someone Greater than I has already taken care of that, though most of the effects take place in the next life. However, I know that compassion is built into my nature and I can do that which is within my scope to help other people. I appreciated the talk given by President Dieter F. Uchtdorf last Saturday to the women of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (and applicable to everyone). It was titled: Happiness, Your Heritage. I loved that he was so positive in his message, for I needed a strong reminder that life is meant to be good despite all the crummy, disappointing, nasty, and truly evil things happening in the world each day.

His conclusion was this: "My dear sisters, I have a simple faith. I believe that as you are faithful and diligent in keeping the commandments of God, as you draw closer to Him in faith, hope, and charity, things will work together for your good. I believe that as you immerse yourselves in the work of our Father—as you create beauty and as you are compassionate to others—God will encircle you in the arms of His love. Discouragement, inadequacy, and weariness will give way to a life of meaning, grace, and fulfillment. As spirit daughters of our Heavenly Father, happiness is your heritage."

Life is made up of light and shadow. I choose light. And I want to share it.


4 comments:

Sarah said...

Great Post! It is something that I think about often. In the end we all struggle. It's what we do with our struggles that define us. I think we need to serve those closest to us first, then go out broader when we have the means and spiritual prompting to do so. And when our funds are exhausted, we need to either find a way to give or spread the word to others who can give and know that we have done all we can do. The shadows sometimes draw us in, but it's the light that always brings me back.

mattandhonor said...

Maren, amazing thoughts, Honor mentioned how good his talk was, I'll have to go read it. We found your blog through the Michiganders, hope that all is well, say hi to Quinn for us. Matt Christensen

Shells said...

Beautiful shot, makes me wish we were there visiting. One of the things that we have found since getting here is that the Americans fall into roughly two camps (a vast overgeneralization of course...) one that hates the weather here and complain A LOT about everything, and one that enjoys whatever they can while they are here and don't let the weather bother them. We think that you choose which camp to be in so we are choosing the second. If you focus on the light, the dark is bearable.

Disco Mom said...

A nice piece that meanders over several areas I think about sometimes too. Love the photography tie-in and by the way wish you could take our family Christmas card photo this year...

That was a profound talk for me as well - I took copious notes. I have a general aversion to guilt but probably only because I feel it so keenly and so easily. But I don't know what to do with or about it in most cases so I just ignore or avoid it. It's nice to know I'm not in charge of the grand scheme, that I've been given a tiny stewardship within it and instructions on how to get help. It's nice to know happiness is our heritage as well.