
My sister-in-law just wrote an eloquent post about a subject that goes through my mind every single day. (Go ahead, read it.) There's only so much you can do in a day and guilt is not that helpful. What matters most is how you treat people and what's in your heart.
When the Relief Society President approached me last week with her Visiting Teaching record sheet in hand, I immediately felt the guilt of not having visited my 6 sisters (with my 2 other partners). But she is a good friend of mine and was so understanding, suggesting a letter or phone call rather than a visit for the summer months. I can do that.
The temple? Family History? Missionary work? Food storage? I'm a believer in seasons. To everything there is a season, and time to every purpose under the heaven. Isn't that how it goes?
There was a season during which I was able to attend the temple as often as I wanted (because it was very close and I didn't have the family responsibilities I now have), and I believe it will come again someday. Right now I can make sure I'm worthy so I can take the chance to go when it's possible. Every once in a while I catch the family history bug. I'll catch it again sometime and make more progress. I look for ways to be a good example to my friends and a good neighbor. I rejoice in the recent baptism and temple sealing of a good high school friend and his wife. I re-joined Costco and am buying staples (and other good non-perishable things we like) in larger quantities. Small and simple things make a difference but, more than that, I'm trying to live right rather than check things off a list.
Sometimes you have to take the long view. My Dad's opinion is that time is a tricky thing and this life is like a concentrated version of eternity. I don't know if that's true (how would you prove it?), but sometimes each day feels like an eternity to me. My Mom has a sign over her desk that says, "Jesus is coming- look busy." It's in jest, of course, poking fun at the idea that outward actions are what saves you. But I think Shells is right; "breathe, slow down. Love your family, develop your relationship with God and others, and don't worry about living up to anyone else's perceived perfections." I have faith that God is even more loving than my RS President is, and that is a very good thing.
2 comments:
Thanks for your comments Maren, it also helps to have great friends and relatives. I am really glad that Dave's sister are all people I love and respect.
A much needed reminder for me. Thanks.
Post a Comment